With everything going on right now, you might be finding yourself needing to prepare some foods that you’re not super familiar with. Maybe you can’t find your go-to produce item at the store or maybe you’re running out of meal ideas and need to switch things up a bit. Whatever your situation, knowing how to shop for, store, and prepare a wide variety of foods will make your meals tastier and help reduce your stress around meal-time.
One resource that can help you do that is Dr. Yum’s Favorite Foods. It’s a collection of some of our favorite fruits, vegetables, and other ingredients where you can learn how to store and prepare each item as well as interesting facts and nutrition information. It’s also where you can find recipes that feature each ingredient so you have something you can cook right away! It’s a great tool for when you have a new-to-you food that you want to try, but need some help getting started.
Here are five of Dr. Yum’s Favorite Foods that you cook with right now!
1. Bok Choy: Great in a stir-fry or curry, bok choy is a leafy green vegetable that grows best during cool weather.
2. Mushrooms: Mushrooms are available at the store year-round and can be added to many recipes, either taking a sharing role or being a little more subtle. There are so many varieties of mushrooms, and some are more delicate than others. Try different kinds to see what you prefer larger thick mushrooms like portobellos can be great on the grill as the weather warms up.
3. Asparagus: Asparagus has a short season, so eat it up while it’s available! It cooks quickly, making it great for pulling a meal together in a pinch.
4. Eggplant: Eggplant can be intimidating to many, but it doesn’t have to be! Roasting with some oil and seasoning is always a great option. There are many different varieties and they come in a range of sizes, shapes, and colors.
5. Blueberries: Blueberries are great fresh or frozen. Keep the latter in your freezer so you have them around to give a quick boost to oatmeal, yogurt, pancakes, or even a salad.